Whether you are going to the zoo or just the playground across the street, here is how to plan for a safe and fun field trip adventure:
- Pre-visit the site to check suitability.
- Have each parent sign a permission slip.
- Recruit parents as volunteer chaperones.
- Assign each adult a small group, but make sure all groups stick together.
- Pair the children and remind them to tell an adult when they don't have a partner.
- Pin a name tag on the child's back that only includes the center/program name and phone number.
- Bring along a first aid kit.
- Bring along a cell phone or change for the pay phone.
- Bring along family emergency contact information.
- Do a head count each time you change location. From the center onto the bus, from the bus to the parking lot, etc.
- Schedule times for rests, bathroom or refreshment breaks.
- Go slow, enjoy each exhibit, avoiding rushing to "see it all."
- Try to go off-season or in the afternoon when it won't be as crowded.
- Select a place where there are things young children can touch and do, as well as see.
- Check with local laws or regulations regarding the transportation of young children by vehicle.